FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 (Reauthorization Bill), P.L. 114-190
SEC. 2303. WORKING GROUP ON IMPROVING AIR SERVICE TO SMALL COMMUNITIES.
(a) In General.–Not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall establish a working group–
(1) to identify obstacles to attracting and maintaining air transportation service to and from small communities; and
(2) to develop recommendations for maintaining and improving air transportation service to and from small communities.
(b) Outreach.–In carrying out subsection (a), the working group shall consult with-
(1) interested Governors;
(2) representatives of State and local agencies, and other officials and groups, representing rural States and other rural areas;
(3) other representatives of relevant State and local agencies; and
(4) members of the public with experience in aviation safety, pilot training, economic development, and related issues.
(c) Considerations.–In carrying out subsection (a), the working group shall–
(1) consider whether funding for, and the terms of, current or potential new programs are sufficient to help ensure continuation of or improvement to air transportation service to small communities, including the essential air service program and the small community air service development program;
(2) identify initiatives to help support pilot training and aviation safety to maintain air transportation service to small communities;
(3) consider whether Federal funding for airports serving small communities, including airports that have lost air transportation services or had decreased enplanements in recent years, is adequate to ensure that small communities have access to quality, affordable air transportation service;
(4) identify innovative State or local efforts that have established public-private partnerships that are successful in attracting and retaining air transportation service in small communities; and
(5) consider such other issues as the Secretary considers appropriate.
(1) In general.–The working group shall be facilitated through the Secretary or the Secretary’s designee.
(2) Membership.–Members of the working group shall be appointed by the Secretary and shall include representatives of–
(A) State and local government, including State and local aviation officials;
(B) State Governors;
(C) aviation safety experts;
(D) economic development officials; and
(E) the traveling public from small communities.
(e) Report and Recommendations.–Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall submit to the appropriate committees of Congress a report, including–
(1) a summary of the views expressed by the participants in the outreach under subsection (b);
(2) a description of the working group’s findings, including the identification of any areas of general consensus among the non-Federal participants in the outreach under subsection (b); and
(3) any recommendations for legislative or regulatory action that would assist in maintaining and improving air transportation service to and from small communities.